Monday 1 October 2012

Infrared conversion


Black Mountain, Northern descent. 1 Oct 2012


Lizard, CSIRO Black Mountain. 1 Oct 2012


I have been reading about near infrared cameras on the Public Lab website. It seems exciting and has interesting possibilities, or at least is worth a go.
I tried to convert an old camera of my own and totally wrecked it, which is painful, but to be expected. Since that debacle Graham next door (in Turner) has taken the bull by the horns and here are the first shots with his 2MP camera. Video is also possible.
We think that some visible spectrum is still getting through the film, so it is not anywhere near being able to simulate night vision. But it is interesting that the lizard sunning himself is not emitting any IR, his body is dark, he is keeping the heat within.
I wanted to try and convert a camera myself, but since Graham had his breakthrough at 3am this morning I have decided to forgo this pleasure and he now has an old camera of my dad's and a piece of 'black' slide film should he successfully get inside.

On another note, I am looking forward to a big day of weedy tartan printing, and fingers crossed Aphra and Romola like the holiday program as much as me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment