Wednesday 4 April 2012

Platypus ANT analysis


Here are the platypus experts from Cesar (http://cesar.org.au/). They are experts, as far as experts on platypus go. But these private beautiful creatures have, to date, not given much away. However, the finding and rescuing of an otherwise healthy male, in the most polluted creek in Melbourne create a flurry of activity. Within a week, Cesar (who monitor platypus activity in catchments all over Melbourne) were there.
Here is a link to the story of the rescue, from the horses mouth!
http://themerrigardener.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/not-so-merri-creek.html


I'd quite like to do an Actor-Network-Theory reading of this 'event'. The rubbish which entangled the platypus is, of course, a key actor. The Friends of Merri Creek had over 20 phone calls following the local paper article from people expressing their wish to join the next rubbish collection day. My daughters and I were at the rubbish collection, and of the 20 people who had expressed interest, none showed up (this time)!

The nets in place, one going upstream, another going down. The guys check the nets all night, release the odd duck, but rarely catch a platypus!

Rubbish Collection photos to follow....


7 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,

    Yes it would be interesting to read an actor-network account of this event. Partly also o that I can understand how this structure enables you to think differently/productively/creatively about these encounters. I have lots of questions about this helps with making work.

    On a blog note- your blog doesn't seem to be coming up in my blog feed. Do you have me as a follower?

    You might like to start a list of links about the creek and other topics on your blog too, that way you have easy access to those sites.

    Links are a little easier to read when they are embedded in text. Let me know if you want me to tell you how to do this.

    I will be down in Canberra monday 16th

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to comment on the post below but there isn't any comments enabled on that post...?

    The colour is very light- I guess the flowers really make a difference?

    what colour is the ink- black?

    In your email you said something about feedback on the "gloves" are you going to make this fabric into a padded riggers gloves? gardening gloves?
    Sounds interesting.
    interesting that the gorse as been interpreted in various forms in fabric design.


    While you in be in Canberra on monday 16th. I have an appointment between 1 and 2 and will let you know my bus times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour is very light, but that is also because linen doesn't take as well as some other fabrics.... it was very white linen, and now is very creamy.
    ink is blue/black
    gloves are to be connected via the fingers. So useless or linked, depending how you look at it.
    looking forward with trepidation to the course!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca you remain reply to my above questions
    " I have lots of questions about this helps with making work."
    Is that How/if/when this helps with making work?
    My feeling is that ACT allows/provides a way of negotiating complicated or conflictual ideas/things/situations, and in doing so provides space in which to reflect the 'role' or affect of the maker. I have spent quite a bit of time in the big Kentridge show at ACMI, and I think he is performing ANT, or at least I am seeing this in the work. (I doubt he is an ANT man)
    Who knows if it will ultimately be useful to (my) art making but I do want to give it a red hot go. I will attempt to use it in the Arguing Objects. Perhaps it is just going to be an analytical tool in the end? But I'd like to think about it in the context of Kentridge's process and how the medium is much more than simply a means to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My question was simply directed because I don't know what this ANT theory is, I have not read it.
    You find it useful i can see, but at this stage i only have questions about what it is, why it makes a difference to reception of works, and mostly importantly from my perspective, how it makes you think about what you are making.

    When you have time after the essay for the first course is done, perhaps do a reading of the platypus nets or something else, it does not have to be completely thought out, but an introduction here would be good.

    ReplyDelete